President Joe Biden has been very clear that one in all his prime priorities is accelerating the nation’s rollout of COVID vaccines, and he’s tapped former FDA chief David Kessler to steer the hassle. As they step into their roles, the place does America’s COVID vaccination drive stand?
In keeping with knowledge from the Facilities for Illness Management (CDC), 4.8% of the U.S. inhabitants had obtained not less than one dose of the vaccine by means of Jan. 19, up from 2.8% a week ago. In complete, roughly 15.7 million pictures have been administered of the 31.2 million that had been distributed. Simply over two million individuals have obtained each doses of vaccine.
Of the states, Alaska has reached the biggest proportion of its inhabitants with the vaccine thus far, with 7.6% of its residents having obtained not less than one dose. West Virginia, final week’s chief, was the one different state the place greater than 7% of the inhabitants has obtained not less than one dose of vaccine.
Alabama, Georgia, and Nevada have the bottom charges, every with lower than 3% of the inhabitants having obtained a dose of one of many COVID vaccines. Alabama, which is the state that has thus far reached the smallest proportion of the inhabitants in its rollout, has solely administered 29% of the vaccine doses it has obtained.
A lot of the vaccines have thus far been administered by the states to their residents; simply 1.7 million doses have been administered to People in long-term care amenities by means of the federal partnerships with pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens.
SHARE OF THE POPULATION THAT RECEIVED AT LEAST ONE SHOT
|State or territory||Share vaccinated|
|District of Columbia||5.6%|
Extra health care and Big Pharma coverage from Fortune:
- Learn how to discover out where and when you can get a COVID vaccine in your state
- The COVID-19 vaccination drive could also be gradual—nevertheless it’s already faster than any in history
- Commentary: Learn how to assist your staff deal with COVID-related work absences
- A British hospital community is utilizing blockchain technology to track COVID-19 vaccines
- From a disillusioned youth precariat to state collapse—WEF ranks the risks to our post-COVID world